Saturday 15 July 2017

Memo to manufacturers: What? Your new synth doesn't have aftertouch? Guess what?! I"M NOT BUYING IT!! The need for hands free synthesizer controls and how it all roads lead to KISS

That's right!

Korg! Your Minilogue Mini-sucks! Studio Logic, take your sledge and ride it back to queer street (I am not homophobic, if you are gay substitute "Straight Street") Roland, the only way I would pick up a system 8 would be to hit you over the head with it (And even then the light plastic would shatter and you'd barely notice)

Where oh where have the features that make a synth PLAYABLE gone? I want the wind controller! (Anal wind controller?) I want assignable features to velocity and the mod wheel (Multiple for the wheel) I want assignable CV pedal control inputs (2 of them! BOOYAH!) and most of all I WANT POLYPHONIC AFTERTOUCH AS STANDARD

This is why I LOVE me some ENSONIQ SQ80. It's all about the modulation I can do, without my hands having to leave the keyboard. Because guess what? I'M PLAYING! The SQ80 is the most playable synth ever (while others program. with the SQ80 I PLAY. I started out as a guitar player so I'm used to having the power to FEEL my instrument in the palm of my hands, not having to interrupt my creative flow to "program" stuff in.

With HIGHLY programmable aftertouch, CV pedal, HIGHLY detailed velocity programming, Pitch wheel and HIGHLY programmable Mod wheel, Playing synth never really hit home with me till I got one of these,

It's funny, everyone thinking 1:1 controls are so important, as a musician who wants to become one with his instrument and let his emotions call the shots, not his brain, I can tell you these Ensoniq's and, wait for it...........The hated and feared DX7 are THE synths for the playing musician,

You have so much hands free control on the DX7 it's not even funny, and don't think I'm some Jazz/Prog weirdo either, My roots are Punk/Glam/New wave I first picked up a synth because of Billy Idol (Wanna learn to play synth like a man? Rebel Yell record will show you, even though it's played by a woman, she plays with more balls than any 80's wuss that came after her), Cyndi Lauper (She-bop = best rock n' roll synth ever Co-written by Cyndi Lauper and the guy who went on to play keyboards with KISS) Primal Scream, Jesus and Mary-chain (Yes they used synths), Not Phil Collins, Hebie Hancock and Mister Mister (Although oddly enough their guitar player would end up playing one of the guitar solos on KISS's overrated, plodding heavey-metal snooze-fest of a record Creatures of the Night) and Duran Duran (Even lesser known fact: on KISS's underrated 1980 Power-Pop masterpiece UNMASKED, Producer Vini Poncia, asked the, just barely been signed and totally unknown Nick Rhodes play his Jupiter 8 on the forgotten classic TOMORROW and several other tracks, if you think you know what KISS sounds like and have heard their best but aren't familiar with this song I encourage you to head over to Youtube and prepare to be blown away this is one of the top three KISS songs EVER recorded, if you hate KISS I dare you to listen to that song and say it)

So there you go Synth manufacturers, it's really quite simple, those of us who can PLAY and aren't brain-dead, loop-layering no-talent EDM Mongoloids (Hey I like electronic dance music, I just don't like EDM...I like Mongoloids too so can the self-righteousness) would like some instruments that give us the ability to ROCK, we don't need our hands held as we push the "Talent" button.

In short, we who are UNMASKED are tired of instruments coming to the market that were obviously made to play on Creatures of the Night,

Yes.....There is a KISS analogy for everything....until next time, take yer fuggin trainin' wheelz and shove em' uo yer preset banks!

Good bye from Queer (Straight) Street everybody!

P.S On which street doth a man livist who yearns no more for gooey stains on his side of the bed and would sleep the night in peace?

Terrible Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment